Monday 27 February 2012

OUR DYSLEXIC FAMILY BATTLE.

I have so far  written so many posts on this blog of all the exciting things we do as a whanau.  My friend Nix said the other day that most blogs she views makes her think that the person who's blog it is has a perfect family. (we only see the good stuff)

I thought that perhaps it might be a good idea to write down some of my struggles that we have each day living with the very real challenge  of Dyslexia!  I don't have Dyslexia but Keith does,  Arama does and so does Terina.  We are not sure about Niwa yet but my prayers are that he might not have to face this challenge like my other special loved ones.   Our mix of Dyslexia comes  with other combinations too such as Auditory Processing disorder,  and Dyspraxia etc.

As for most parents who have kids with a 'Special Need',  I often feel frustrated that others pass by you each day and have no idea what you are going through!  Yes I know there are always others out there going through stuff that is a lot worse than your stuff, but my stuff seems hard some days and today was one of those days.

I don't really feel sad,  I just feel a bit frustrated at times....

-  Frustrated at them not grasping how to read and spell as fast as many others.

-  Frustrated for them because they have to go through so many hard moments of feeling dumb compared to the person sitting next to them in class because they are not progressing as fast as them.

-  Frustrated at myself because sometimes I loose the plot and feel so impatient when they don't 'click' as fast as the hundreds of other children I have taught in my teaching career over the years.

-  Frustrated because I feel guilty at times for not feeling patient.

-  Frustrated because I constantly feel like I have to fight the fight for them in this education system that exists in this country.

-  Frustrated when your kids teachers don't really see it as much of a problem yet they are doing nothing specific to cater for the learning styles of the Dyslexic child.  (which are very different I might add to a normal child)  In fact I feel like I struggle with this myself too as a parent trying to understand their minds and ways of learning and BEING,  (the BEING is an interesting one some days  ARGGG)!

-  Frustrated because the government says they recognise 'DYSLEXIA' but that to me is no more than  just words.  The diagnosis of Dyslexia is categorised as the 'MILD' end of the spectrum when it comes to receiving extra help within our schools.

-  Frustrated that the government is not preparing our teachers via information and training so that they can cater for these 'GIFTED,  CREATIVE, OUTSIDE THE BOX, INDIVIDUALS!'

-  Frustrated with the thought of wondering if the system is ever going to cater for their needs.  Wondering also if the educational path we are heading down is just a waste of time sometimes, but I also felt that when we were home schooling. (so sometimes you feel like you can't win)

-  Frustrated when homework time rocks on each afternoon and their minds are completely switched off by then yet we still have to press forward tears and all.

ANYWAY THE LIST GOES ON,  I COULD KEEP GOING ALL NIGHT.

Right now,  I am feeling quite passionate about finding options that will help them to progress forward in their challenges.  Why keep doing something if its not working.  For example why keep trying to learn spelling words the same old way for years and years when you know there has been no progress! I  want to learn and read more about Dyslexia, I want to try new spelling programs, methods, computer programs etc that might help.    I think I might like my career to veer off in that direction soon!  Where to start I don't know but I do know it starts with passion because I am directly affected as one trying to raise dyslexic kids!

It was just a bad day today, some days are more 'In your face than others'.  But all in all I know I can pray for peace and direction which I need to do right after I have finished this entry!

I THINK THE QUOTE BELOW SAYS IT ALL!


This Video below is very moving I hope any of you reading this might
be touched so as to learn or appreciate Dyslexic minds a little more.











No comments:

Post a Comment