Wednesday 28 March 2012

PRESERVING FRUIT MARATHON

A few weeks ago, Keith bought home a huge amount of Golden Peaches and Granny Smith Apples from one of his jobs.  I have had great desires to learn how to preserve fruit for ages.  I think it is great to prepare for tough times and what better way to preserve than to preserve fruit that is free!  I was blessed by a family in the ward who gave me one dozen large never used agee jars.  

The Horsfords (our inlaws) came over to help with the process of peeling, cutting, stewing and  bottling one million Grannie Smith apples.  It still took us collectively about 4 hours so I hate to think how long it would have taken if I was alone!  Bless them all,  they always come to our rescue and help us with so many things.  They are so a family who gives of their time!  Thanks so much Horsfords!


Below"  Me, Lucas, Morgan and Nicole Horsford in my kitchen.


This was my Preserving shelf prior to our Apple day.  Golden Peaches
and My Plum Jam from Christmas.  (Plums from our tree).  We call
them Christmas Plums because they only come out once a  year and
you need to make jam like mad if you want to make the most of them
before they rot and go to waste.


See the factory line below!  Thats a lot of apples!



Nicole going for it peeling!  Thanks Nicole!


My Delicious girl, eating the peeled apples  LOL!




Look at me  'Home making Queen'  HE HE!



Terina with Nicole,  she loved this day as
she got to spend the day with one of her favourite cousins!







This sounds real weird but I love looking up at my shelf with my preserves on it.
Either I am strange or just the satisfaction of knowing it  is there to  grab whenever
you want after all your hard work is something very satisfying.

Tonight for example when Keith came in at 7.30 after a very long day at work,
I thought I will make him apple crumble for a treat tonight as it is his favourite.
So I grabbed a small bottle of apple and shoved a quick topping on it and 
he asked, "Why are you being so nice to me tonight dear?"  (SAD)
But I thought about that question and usually I can't be bothered peeling
apples and stewing them etc at the end of a long day because it takes ages but now that all the hard
work is done,  I can whip up Apple Crumbles or Peach Crumble too with a swirl of 
plum Jam in the middle perhaps in just 5 mins.  How exciting and it makes Keith think
I am going the extra  mile but actually it is so so easy and fast.

Nicole now calls me a...
'DOMESTICATED GODDESS'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment