Saturday 5 October 2013

My Melbourne Escape!

A few weeks ago I  decided to escape!  To tell you the truth,  I had hit rock bottom.  I have been struggling with Depression for most of this year and I felt like I was going 'NUTS' to put it mildly!  The kids went to bed after a terrible Family night and I was had it!  I said to Keith,  I just feel like I desperately need a break!  He said "Well then go"! We talked about Melbourne as I have a few close friend there and for the first time in my life I felt peace about going.  I always feel guilty about spending money on myself but this time I knew that I needed a break and that I would be a better mother and wife for it!  I still took about 3 hours to hit the 'Purchase' button for my ticket though lol!   Anyway to cut a long story short that was on a Monday night and after work on the Wednesday,  I drove to the airport and hopped on the plane to Melbourne.   My dear friend Christine collected me from the airport and I stayed with her for the whole time.  We use to flat together in Wellington many years ago before we got married.  Her kids are both quite old now and independent so it was lovely to have her all to myself!  The first day I was there, it was horrible weather and so I stayed home while Chris went to work and I read and slept nearly all day.  I had the whole house to myself and so I had no one else to worry about,  it was so good!  I read John Kirwan's book on his depression journey which I found very helpful!  I have come home so much more rested and ready to start a fresh,  I have since put a few things in place to ensure that I don't go as low again.  It was a great time to reflect and evaluate where I am at without being interrupted by anyone.  I don't have many photos of my trip as I didn't take a camera but thanks to other's I phones,  I have a few shots.

These first photos below are of me and Baron and Janet.  (Baron is Keith's sister's Boy and Janet and him got married last year).   They are so generous and loving.  They took me to IKEA then out to dinner to this amazing Mexican restaurant which was lovely.  I really enjoy their company and hope to spoil them a little when they come here  for Christmas!







Well there you go,  the Melbourne Markets,  you can't go to Melbourne without a visit to the Markets.  Mainly for the food of course.  We pigged out and my diet was meant to start when I arrived home but so far no good!



Me with Isaac (Christine's 16 year old son) at the Market eating these amazing turkish bread filled things,  YUM AS!


Saturday afternoon,  Christine shouted me this amazing Massage for my birthday.  You sit in these huge round chairs and they totally massage your head and shoulders and then soak your  feet and wax your hands then massage them too.  It was so relaxing,  I had to wake Chris up  LOL!


Last Sunday afternoon,  Christine took me up to Arthur's Seat way out of Melbourne,  this is a very coastal place and we looked down upon some amazing places,  with Melbourne in the very far distance,  it was a spectacular view and a lovely drive catch up with my special mate.




Then we went to this beach close to Arthur's Seat.  It was such a cold windy day,  thus the jacket in all the photos.  this beach was a wild windy surf beach and there was no way I was gonna go down into the water.




Christine and I clowning around with the camera together trying to photograph ourselves.




I had a blast!  I did many other things while I was there too such as,  going to IKEA (my favourite shop eva), going on the trams and trains.  Meeting up with Baron and Janet (Keith's nephew and wife), going to church, going to DFO  (discounted Factory Outlets) and banging into a friend of mine on the tram who I used to know here in NZ a few years ago,  wow its a small world!  I loved it!
I think I might make this a regular occurrence  LOL!  I arrived home on my birthday and that blog entry is yet to come.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a nice break :) You totally should make it a regular occurence! Think I'm gonna have to come along too next time ;) x

    ReplyDelete