Monday 24 December 2012

MY HERO IS TAKEN HOME.





On the 17th Dec 2012 at 6.23pm my one and only Daddy was taken home to rest at peace finally after a pretty long battle with cancer.  It finally got to him and he just couldn't fight anymore.  I have so much to catch up on and so so many special experiences that  I need to add to my blog relating to the past month.  This has got to be one of the most draining experiences I have ever experienced.  It has been tough!  The photo above is of my dad in one of his bowling uniforms he was a top notch bowler and as written on the card from Bowling NZ,  the sport will surely miss him!  Hopefully the new bowling green up in Heaven is paved in gold and he is still enjoying what he loves most.

My Special Aunty,  his sister Aunty Colleen,  came from OZ  6 weeks ago to be with him and mum as they went through this heart breaking experience.  The sad part was that he actually died on her birthday which was pretty tender especially for her.  The night he died after the funeral directors had come, we went home to Mums and had birthday cake for her. (see photos below)




Dad was taken to the Hospice a week to the day before he died.  Hospice was an amazing place filled with so so many angels.  The people there are filled with so much love!  When he died on Monday night,  one week ago today,  they lit a candle and put a rose on his pillow beside where he lay.  See photo below.






The day dad died,  I went and got a little Christmas tree  and put it up above the light above his bed and we decorated his room with a few Christmas things.  I also put Terina's picture up on the wall that she took over to poppas house when she told Poppa about Michael Jackson etc as written about in my last blog entry.  (see photo below)


We bought Dad home to our house for 2 nights so people could come over and pay their respects and so our children could spend some time with their poppa one last time.  This was a lovely experience.  Terina slept beside him and continued to stroke his hair etc and talk to him.  We all cried lots and laughed lots as we shared, sung, prayed and celebrated his life.  

Then on Thursday 20th December we said our final farewell at Dils funeral chapel in Snapper Rock which was just beautiful,  see program below.




The funeral program was lovely and we all played a part in it.  Arama spoke and it was just so lovely,  here is a copy of his speech below.

I  just want to share a few Things I remember about poppa

He would always have a stash of chubba chub lolly pops in the car

Every morning when he would  come to take me to school I would read the news on his i phone then he would ask me "whats news?"

No one knows this but when he would drop me at school he would give me two dollars and say "it's nice doing business with you".

When we stayed at his house he would always make cherios on a stick dipped into sauce.


When he would pick me up after school on Mondays and Fridays he would always have two packets of chips and they were always always signature range.

I think he must have known his time was short because he planned a trip for our family it was the best trip we have ever been on with them.

I hope you all enjoy your cherios, chubba chubs and salt and vinegar chips today.

I love you Poppa I can't wait to see you again!

Arama was very emotional before he gave his little talk,  but he said to me "I can do this!"  I was so proud of him as his talk was very touching.  

Two of my most special friends made this amazing chubba chub tree and when everyone was leaving,  they helped themselves to a chubba chub lolly pop in rememberance of POPs.  It had a tag tied around it saying "We love our POPs",  then on the Jar it read, "Who always had pops in his car for us!  Arohatinonui,  Your mokopuna xxxx.  (thanks Renee and Nix for all your time and energy you put into this most amazing tree,  it looked amazing)





Here are a few photos below of dads coffin at the chapel,  they were only iphone photos so they are not very clear.







The funeral was followed by a private cremation service.  


It was a lovely day and we went back to the bowling club after for eats.

We have over the weeks had so much service rendered to us from other people.  We have truely felt the work of earthly and heavenly angels around us more than ever before.  It has been very emotionally draining but the lord helps you to just keep going.  I had a Hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and then this all happened at the same time.  But the lord totally took care of that side of things so I could focus on Dad. I had absolutely no complications whatsoever pain wise etc after my operation,  In fact I wonder if they actually did the operation or if they were just tricking me LOL.

Tomorrow is Christmas day and we are all feeling very tender.  To farewell your Hero Father 5 days before Christmas is not the easiest thing to do.  I Miss him so so much.  When I got home from the funeral I walked inside and felt so so lost.  I just cried and cried and cried and I still have my moments of real deep sadness,  it is like a huge hole has been left in your heart.  I have been told that time is the only thing that heals or helps.  I feel so so much for mum,  I sent Arama over there last night to sleep with her but tonight she is there alone and my heart breaks that she is going to wake to no one there tomorrow morning.  My poor Mummy,  I want to keep mum and look after her with us forever more.  

Keith had to go straight back to work the day after the funeral so I still haven't had a chance to drop my shoulders,  he is still at work at 9pm as I type.  Hopefully we can stop for a moment or two soon.  

I hope you Enjoy Christmas in Heaven my Daddy.  You deserve the best time ever,  you have worked so hard here on earth helping so many people and its your time now to feel the joy and rewards of your efforts.  I miss you dearly my beautiful Dad.  It is my goal and faith that I will always  be close to you despite the fact that you are not here physically.

I have so much more to record but for now I had better go and wrap some presents.  LOL.





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Bex :) Funny how when you're growing up you often idolise actors & actresses & random people you think are the bees knees - but then when you get older you realise that your true heros in life are the ones that have been with you all along! What an awesome blessing it is to have such a cool dad :) I only got the chance to meet him a couple of times but from all the stories I've ever heard of him, he has so many wonderful qualities to emulate. Hope you've had a special day today xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been thinking of you lots the last few weeks. What a special guy your dad is and I'm so happy you got to spend a lot of time with him. What great friends and family you have around you. Just wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for writing up such a beautiful post about your dad!

    ReplyDelete